Monday 11 July 2016

Street Fighter V...a few months later

So I've put this off until I thought they had a satisfactory amount of updates to consider it a full game. So now that the story mode is in and the number of playable characters is feeling nice, its time to talk about this.

I got the pre-order bundle for a cool $100 Canadian, which is a lot more than I normally pay for games, but as a fighting game fan it was easy buy.  Sadly my Ryu figure is no longer staying on his stand, otherwise his build quality is pretty good...not perfect...but good.   Other extras included e-comics and some game music codes, all of which are satisfactory.

As usually with these types of packs, and perhaps the reason it might be my last (okay King of Fighters is coming in the fall so that might be my last) is that they rarely include the season pass/DLC for the stuff I should have gotten for the 1/3 of the cost of my system I paid.  But the SFV season pass was one of the most reasonable to date (about $25 cnd), so that was an easy up sell for them since many season passes are just as expensive as the game themselves.

You can find the full history of the game Here on the Wiki because I'm way too lazy to retread over things people already know or have talked about.  Needlessly to say, their slow early sales might have been due to lack of character selection and other content which they have lived up to to their promises to add.

Pros
SFV is close enough to SFIV and still feels enough like the classic Street Fighter games of old, that its not that hard to pick up and play for old folks like me.  However, small changes where made to many characters and there is a bit of a learning curve.

The V-trigger system is great and adds a ton of tactics to the the game.  Getting rid of the clunky ultimate gauge from SFIV was my favorite change, and the return to the more simple power meter (Critical Arts gauge) was welcomed with open arms.

Its hard to tell the difference...but that's not a bad thing.
While the cast of characters was extremely limited early on, the hope is that they made the game open architecture enough to keep expanding the roster until the cows come home.

As a huge thumbs up, I actually went back to play the old games with a character I was never drawn too because of SFV...that being Rainbow Mika.  She is now my favorite character in the new game.  Good Job!

The style of the of the game is much like that in SFIV and Street Fighter vs. Tekken, though a little cleaned up.

Most of the moves and fighting is fluid and relatively easy to pick and play, but with just enough tricks to keep you learning....with a huge caveat coming up later.

Cons
The modes are the same old, same old as seen time and time again, for good and ill. Challenge mode is my personal nemesis.  Its terrible that I have been playing SF since the heady arcade days, but challenge mode vexes me the most. Perhaps its my reaction times, perhaps its my PS4 wireless controllers, but getting 100% in some of the challenges is neigh impossible for me.    Some of the challenges have proved quite valuable for some gameplay, while others have exposed me to attacks and more wiffing.    Perhaps, it's just me not being able to rise my game.

Survival mode gets tough real fast, and really needs a save and load function when an hour passes and getting only close to finishing the challenge.

Individual story modes are short and disappointing, at least "arcade story" mode added something to look at that lasted more than two or three battles.

Online...I was so excited for cross platform with PC (disappointed no Xbox version or cross platform) as ushering in a new era.  Sadly, in many cases I found those playing from the PC side, moving and acting faster than the AI, and doing repeat combo chains that might be either a) awesome players with good skills or b) hotkeying actions.   However, the PC issue and other issues I have had of not connecting moves, while the other player goes nuts could be the Displaylag. Perhaps PC might have some differences compared to PS4.

However, there is real lag occurring, including jittering, sprite jumping, and on and on.  While this again might be on my side, compared to SFIV, Injustice and even games like Star Wars Battlefront, SFV can be a sick slug moving through freezing molasses.

While with a season pass some things in the store are provided to me, while most things require to earn fight money or spend additional real money....so micro-payments for a full priced fighting game.    Fight money as a concept is a not an issue for me if done properly.  I had hoped SFV would learn from the Krypt mistakes of MKX,  but honestly its worse and feels like some casual app game, though those are free to play to start.

While there are some fight money tricks, as Seen Here, it saddens me that one comparison is replaying the new story mode is equal to 1600 online matches...check that...winning 1600...WTF.   OH that's only if you don't get an error 4000 and don't get your fight money, which happens about 1-out-of-5 times...so 1900 wins need than for an major unlock.

Lastly, I dislike the fighter profile card for online, where you cannot choose a character or stange random before a match.  That to change characters you have to exit out of searching, change it, and reenter.  Its cumbersome.  You can do random in the lobbies, you can't see if other players are doing it, so its a bit of a loss of a game play element that I enjoyed in the past.  You don't earn fight cash in the lobby matches, so the incentive for going there is really low.

Conclusions
So to buy?  If you're into full out tournaments, buying all the extras (including perhaps a nice fighting stick), like specializing in a niche and a Street Fighter fan, this is your game.  I do like elements of SFV and will endeavor to get better in it and try to figure a way around some of its weirdness.  But as an entry level fighting game for new or casual players, I suggest wait for another price drop (one already) and avoiding online with any connection of less than 5 bars.

Value:  $$$  ($$$$ with price drop +season pass;  $ when they introduce the zenny (real money for additional game elements)).

Enjoyment:  ^___^  to  "0__0"

No comments:

Post a Comment